Keep the Change

You guys, I can't do it. I can't bring myself to vote for Obama.

I watch him and I try to be open minded. I listen to him, and I try to make sense of his abstract rhetoric. I see him, and I try hard not to see an elitist pig. I hear him, and I try to hear what he's going to do for me.

And I think about whether or not he'd be a better leader for our country, until I remember him voting 130 times "Present" in the Illinois Senate. And I remember his silence against a bill that allowed live fetuses to be thrown in the trash, a practice that even NARAL doesn't condone. And I remember that the basic question of life is above his pay grade. And I remember that even this week, he refused to give his opinion in corporate bail-outs in the face of economic ruin. What other tough questions will he avoid? If he won't make hard decisions for fear of angering someone, is he really standing up for anyone?!

And time and time again, I remember that he doesn't represent me and never did. I remember how he forgot about me and people like me in the primaries. I remember him buying -LITERALLY buying - superdelegate support while promising change. I remember him suppressing the voices of Michigan and Florida while promising change. I remember the sights of Obama representatives locking out Clinton voters in Texas Caucases while promising change.

I remember him taking millions of dollars from oil company execs and lobbyists while saying he never did or would. I remember him campaigning on the idea of public campaign finance, until he secured his party's nomination and backed out. I remember him campaigning against NAFTA in Ohio, only to cross the border and tell the Canadians it was only campaign rhetoric. I remember the role in his life that David Axelrod and Richard Daley play in his campaign. I remember the roll that William Ayers and Jeremiah Wright played in his life. I remember the way he asked for Middle America's votes in Scranton, but then trashed us in San Francisco. I remember his great speech on race in Philadelphia, only later to call his grandmother a 'typical white person' on talk radio. I remember the anti-gay preachers he secured and campaigned with through the South Carolina primaries, only to act surprised and distance himself from them afterward.

The list goes on and on.

It's not that I don't know Obama, and it's not that I haven't given him a chance. I try almost daily to swallow my doubts and fears and allow myself to embrace his message. But time and time again, I am revolted by the messenger.

I can't do it. I'm saying Nobama in 2008. Won't you stand with me for America?

Posted by Nick Stone on 4:48 AM. Filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0

4 comments for Keep the Change

  1. Obama is not perfect. The candidate you support is a flip-flopping, elitist, out of touch and senile old man. He does not stand for anything you agree with.

  2. Oh, and please, spare me the Obama elitist argument. McCain has more money than god, 8 or 10 houses (depends on who you ask), has never flown on a commercial aircraft in the last 20 years and has no desire to get to know what normal life is like for most Americans. McCain a snob, has changed his mind on regulation/de-regulation every step of the way -- including a magazine this month, where he argued healthcare needs to be deregulated more, to be much more similar to Wall Street. Only, 3 weeks after he wrote this article, he has changed his mind, AGAIN.

  3. I strongly feel that any person who doesn't have the balls to sign a comment on a blog and remains "anonymous" shoud really just grow a set of balls. If you want to have an opinion that is fine but for christ sake don't hide behind cyberspace. NO respect for anyone who can't stand up for what they belive in. Not because we may differ in opinion but because you clearly don't belive in yourself enough to say what you feel and sign your name to it. As always when it comes to this years political cycle, I couldn't agree more with your post. Nobama, not now, not ever.

  4. wow-- you broke out the "elitist " argument.
    That really shows you're grasping here--- what's next? pointing out that he's black? is a muslim?

    why is Obama elitist?
    Because he's smart, was a professor, knows the legal system?
    (maybe he should have legacied his way into Annapolis and graduated in the bottom 5% of his class...)
    Because he's well-spoken and articulate?
    (maybe he should wait until he's 73, and let the advancing signs of dementia make him seem more down-to-earth...)
    Because he grew up the poor son of a single mother? Is married to a successful woman?
    (maybe he should have divorced Michelle and married the heiress of a beer company...)
    Because he lives comparatively modestly (maybe he should own 13 cars, not 1...)

    The list goes on, clearly.

    The fact that you called Obama "elitist" shows that you aren't looking at him through a neutral lens. The entire argument is voided.

    You sound like Mitt Romney at the RNC-- he rallies to take back America from the "east coast elite." Meanwhile, he's a multimillionaire from liberal Massachusetts, with a bad dye job and a fake perma-tan. What a hypocrite.

    And by the way, "Elite" only became a negative word once the republicans twisted it. People used to strive to be "elite"- educated, well-rounded, well-traveled. Most social literature of the past two centuries involves the quest to rise in class and become elite.
    But no, I guess you'd rather strive to swing a beer, gun down a wolf, and field-dress the remains.
    I guess Horatio Alger should have stopped those "rages to riches" quests, and instead should have raced some dogsleds and banned some books. He'd be so popular with you nowadays!

    oh, and a response to your other incorrect assertions about Obama's background will be forthcoming...

Post a Comment
PREMIUM PARTNERS

SUBSCRIBE: Become an insider today!

Email Marketing You Can Trust

Featured Video

2010 BlogNews Magazine. All Rights Reserved. - Designed by SimplexDesign